PokerTracker 4 is the best software for online poker play. In this podcast you’ll learn 5 ways to utilize this value program (and my favorite!) to improve your game.
Post updated 10.11.19
In episode 49 I helped you stop chip spew by plugging the leak of betting or raising without a good reason.
5 Ways to Improve with PokerTracker 4
Podcast Mission (4:15)
My mission for today is to outline 5 smart ways of using PokerTracker 4 to improve your online poker skills, thereby making you a more exploitative and dangerous player.
1. Utilizing the Statistics (5:40)
- The statistics allow you to see your game as a whole, and how all your plays add up to the player you are.
- Sort your hands by position, session, date, stake or even by starting hands.
- Check to see that you’re positionally aware.
- Check win rates by position and they should increase as position gets later.
- Now analyze the stats and look for big frequency changes and numbers too big or too small.
- Look at the hands played by position and analyze the questionably played hands.
- You can analyze your stats and those of your opponents as well.
Try PokerTracker 4 for 30 days FREE and support the show! If you decide to purchase, I’ll send you my Smart HUD in appreciation.
2. Filtering your database for situations (9:15)
This is one of the best ways to learn from PT4.
3. Utilizing a Heads-up Display or HUD (10:30)
This is the #1 reason most players use PokerTracker 4.
- Real-time statistics on our opponents that accumulate over time
- Configurable with hundreds of different stats, but the most common stats to see are VPIP, PFR, AFq or AF, 3bet, Fold to 3bet, Cbet, Fold to Cbet, Steal or Fold to Steal
- The HUD gets more useful with more hands on a player: 100 is okay, 250 is good, 500 is great and 1,000+ is super.
- HUD’s can be used determine our strategy to exploit a particular opponent before or after we’re dealt a hand.
My Smart HUD in action:
4. Finding potential cash game leaks with LeakTracker (15:00)
LeakTracker feature analyzes your database and shows you how your stats compare to those of winning players at 6max and full-ring games.
Anything outside of the average winning player’s stats indicates a potential leak. After finding these potential leaks, you must return to the Statistics tab and begin filtering for specific situations to begin reviewing hands. The goal here is to find losing spots, dissect the hands, discover your mistakes then work to not repeat them on-the-felt.
5. Sharing Hands w/coaches, friends and forums (16:30)
One great way to study is to share these perfectly recorded hands with friends, forums or your coach to get feedback on your play. And the best place for you to start doing this is in the Smart Poker Study Facebook Discussion Group. Here’s a screenshot of a video hand history I put in the group:
Podcast Challenge (17:35)
Here’s my challenge to you for this episode: Get your butt in gear, and start a free trial of PokerTracker 4 to improve your game today. If you’ve already got PT4 and aren’t utilizing all of its features to improve your game, what are you waiting for? Commit to using the software for an hour a day over the next 5 days.
- 1st Day: Review the entire month of March starting with your statistics and look at them by position.
- 2nd Day: Test out the filters and start by filtering for opportunities to cbet and review those hands.
- 3rd Day: Improve your HUD by adding/subtracting stats as you feel is necessary to improve your in-game reads.
- 4th Day: Use LeakTracker and see what it tells you about your cash game leaks.
- 5th Day: drop a couple hands in the Smart Poker Study Facebook discussion group and ask for some opinions on your play.
Please leave any CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK, COMMENTS, QUESTIONS or REQUESTS in the comments section below.
Or… Tweet me @SmartPokerStudy.
Join the Facebook Poker Discussion Group to talk all things poker.
In podcast 52, I’ll answer 3 listener Q’s about poker strategy and mastery vs overload, push/fold strategy and playing 50/50 SNG’s.
Until next time, study smart, play much and make your next session the best one yet.
- Q&A: Robotic Play, Profitable Poker, In-game Hand Reading and Anonymous Players | Podcast #292 - May 21, 2020
- Use My KISS HUD to Avoid Overwhelm and Learn How to Exploit Online Poker Players - May 14, 2020
- 14 INSANELY Useful Beginner Tips from Nathan “BlackRain79” Williams | Podcast #290 - May 8, 2020