I did it! I completed my 30 Day Podcast Challenge! Day 30 of 30 is here. Thanks for listening and joining me on this adventure.
Click below to support this show and get 27% Rakeback on Americas Cardroom (use promo code SPSPOD)
In case you missed it…
In episode #35 I taught you why you should develop ways to tackle the regs in your games through skill #10 in Ed Miller’s book ‘The Course.’
30 Day Challenge Complete 100% =)
I’d like to look at my completed challenge in terms of it being a SMART Goal.
One new podcast every day was a very specific task. This is a poker podcast so it would have to be poker related. Plus, I developed a format for my podcast so I’d have to follow that, I couldn’t just record myself speaking for a minute and release that.
Absolutely measurable in that I released one every day and I can see how many downloads each episode got. I can see which topics got lots of hits and which ones didn’t, and that gives me a small gauge on what the audience wants.
Absolutely achievable, one podcast per day. It actually takes anywhere from 4-6 hours per podcast to create and release, and as long as I was dedicated to it, it was achievable. It did cost me in that I played hardly any poker at all in this past 30 days, but I’ll make up for that in the coming months to remain on track for hitting my yearly goal.
Totally relevant in that the more time I spend podcasting now, the better I’ll get at it and sooner. This has been a great experience and it’s taught me a few things:
- I can do a podcast at the last minute, assuming I’ve got 3 hours or more to get it done and I’m motivated enough to do it.
- Having a plan in place really helps to keep on track. I created a topic list for the entire 30 days and doing that allowed me to just follow the plan. If I had to come up with a new podcast topic each day would’ve been very difficult.
- I learned the editing and posting process for my podcast very well, and I’ll be able now to teach it to others if I want to free up my time for other pursuits.
- I learned a lot about controlling my breathing and my pace of speaking to make my audio more palatable to listeners. (although this is still a work in progress)
- I increased my overall comfort of being in front of a mic and putting my thoughts out there for the world to hear. This increased vulnerability, putting myself out there, I believe has strengthened me and made me more confident in my ideas as well.
This is actually built in to every 30 day challenge. This wasn’t a challenge to just do 30 podcasts, it was a challenge to do 30 podcasts in 30 days.
My Challenge to you is to develop your own 30 Day Challenge and start it soon so you can finish it by the end of March. Make it something that in doing so you’ll be a better person by the end of it.
- It can be something poker related like studying a minimum of 1 hour per day, not allowing yourself to limp into pots for 30 days, or to play 10 SNG’s minimum per day
- It can be fitness related like building your squat max from 225 pounds to 275, taking your kettle bell exercises from 10 minutes to 25 minutes, or getting up to 50 pull-ups per day.
- It can be health related like dropping carbohydrates from your diet, getting 8 hours of sleep every night, or even dedicating 1 hour a day to play with your kids.
Whatever challenge you do, make it SMART related. You’ve already got the “Time-bound” aspect of SMART goals built into this with the 30 day timeframe, but make sure to build your challenge around the other aspects to SMART goals which were Specific, Measurable, Achievable and Relevant.
And, please include me in your challenge as an accountability partner. Let me know what it is via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll follow-up with you to encourage and help you along the way in your challenge.
Please leave any CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK, COMMENTS, QUESTIONS or REQUESTS in the comments section below.
Or… Tweet me @SmartPokerStudy and email to Sky@SmartPokerStudy.com.
Join the Facebook Poker Discussion Group to talk all things poker.
Please send me your poker strategy questions, and I’ll answer them on the FRIDAY Q&A EPISODES!
In podcast 37, I’ll do another listener Q&A.
Until next time, study smart, play much and make your next session the best one yet.