Including a poker warm-up and cool-down is integral to poker success in every session you play.
Click below to support this show and get 27% Rakeback on Americas Cardroom (use promo code SPSPOD)
In case you missed it…
In episode 4 I talked about open-limping in cash games and why you should never do this… EVER.
Poker Warm-up & Cool-down, Podcast #005
At the end of this podcast you will have a simple, quick and easy way of implementing warm-ups and cool-downs in your sessions.
Why do a poker warm-up and cool-down?
The number one reason for warming-up is to get in our A-game mindset. You’ve got to be prepared before each session, and a good poker warm-up will get you there.
Conversely, why do we cool-down? We need to reflect on the session
- What did I learn?
- What mistakes did I make and how could I have avoided them?
- Did I tilt, and if so, why?
- Pass or Fail?
Improve your poker game RIGHT NOW!
As soon as you join the Weekly Boost Newsletter, you'll be able to download the Ultimate Poker Resource Guide FREE.
With your subscription, you'll get exclusive bonuses and the latest content by email direct to your inbox.
- Ditch the distractions – internet browsers, phones/texting/social media, television/movies/podcasts/training videos, alcohol, Instant Messenger, other people.
- Journal and answer the following:
- Why am I playing tonight?
- A, B or C game mentality right now?
- What’s my one strategy focus tonight?
- 5 minute Q: set a tabata timer and ask a question like: “Is this table still profitable?” or “Who should I be trying to get into hands with at this table?” or “What playing style does each opponent have at this table?”
- Logic Statement: I write down a logic statement to help me stave off tilt
- How long will I play tonight?
Reflect on the session
- Check to see if it’s a winning or losing session (if negative results don’t tilt you)
- Answer the following 2 questions in your journal:
- What did I learn today?
- Session Pass or Fail?
- Pass is you learned something and didn’t tilt
- Fail is you tilted, weren’t focused, made terrible decisions
Here’s a snapshot of one of my journal entries:
Before and after each poker session this week, do your own warm-up and cool down. Let me know how it works for you. I’d also love to see a picture of your journal or you can tell me the questions you ask yourself to get in your A-game mindset. Commit to this for one week to see how it helps your game.
Please leave any CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK, COMMENTS, QUESTIONS or REQUESTS in the comments section below.
Or… Tweet me @SmartPokerStudy and email to Sky@SmartPokerStudy.com.
Join the Facebook Poker Discussion Group to talk all things poker.
Please send me your poker strategy questions, and I’ll answer them on the FRIDAY Q&A EPISODES!
In podcast #6, answer a listener question about my personal SMART Poker Goals for 2016.
Until next time, study smart, play hard and make your next session the best one yet.